Enterprise Security Implementation in Power BI
Data security is the most important consideration for today’s data driven cultures. Yet safeguarding information has become exceedingly difficult to manage with the proliferation of data sources and types of data.
For organizations using Power BI reports, one of the biggest threats to data security is driven by exported data from operational systems. While the report developer may have access to the data, additional security measures need to be taken into consideration when the reports are published and shared. Unprotected data often violates IT policies and even breaks legal or regulatory requirements when published as reports or shared via email. Organizations end up with a huge governance risk on their hands!
Senturus will mitigate this risk for you. After an in-depth assessment, we will make recommendations. We will then architect and administer security in two ways:
- For databases and data warehouses with existing user-level security, Power BI gateway maintains that security through to published reports. For these data sources, we will assess, architect and implement the gateway. This includes audit trail information flowing back to existing data warehouse systems.
- For ad hoc data or data sources that do not already support user-level security, we will demonstrate and design a strategy using Power BI’s row-level security features. By correctly structuring datasets and leveraging AD security groups, row-level security can enforce data protection at the BI tool level.
This engagement includes the following sessions and deliverables:
- An overview of security in Power BI
- Power BI gateway assessment, sizing, configuration and best practices
- Row-level security assessment, examples and best practices
- Administrating Power BI gateways and data sets
- Overview of tracking actions and auditing use
- Power BI data governance template
- Power BI security recommendations for your environment and use cases
- Implementation of Power BI gateway and/or row-level security