This self-paced learning course is for the experienced professional author who needs to learn how to develop interactive reports against multi-dimensional, or OLAP, data sources using Cognos Analytics reporting. It is expected that students have some experience building traditional (relational) reports with Cognos. The focus of this course is with OLAP data packages.
APPLICABLE SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Exercises in this self-paced learning course are based on Cognos Analytics release 7 (11.0.7). There will be no significant user interface differences between this release and subsequent releases of CA 11.0 (through release 13). Students will be able to complete all exercises as scripted in any compatible release through release 13.
ESTIMATED COURSE DURATION
Certified ADA Section 508 compliant
INCLUDED WITH THIS COURSE
Self-paced learning courses are available online 24/7. Included are a course manual that can be downloaded and kept for future reference; how-to documentation on accessing and navigating the CBT interface; supplemental files when applicable.
30-day access: $49
90-day access: $79
6-month access: $99
Cost is per person. Subscriptions may not be shared. Shared subscriptions will be immediately deactivated and no refund issued.
Cognos Analytics Interface and Navigation
- Highlight differences between Cognos 10 and Cognos Analytics
- Preview how to navigate the portal
- Preview how to create a new report
- Explore the data, toolbox and navigate areas
- Explore the properties pane
- Explore page views
- Explore the on-demand toolbars
Multidimensional vs. Relational Reporting
- Understand the different types of multi-dimensional data sources
- Examine multi-dimensional data in Report Studio
- Compare dimensional and relational sources, reports and approaches
- Introduce multi-dimensional terminology
- Create simple multi-dimensional data exploration template
Introduction to Dimensional Reporting Concepts
- Identify different data sources and models
- Investigate the OLAP dimensional structure
- Identify dimensional data items and expressions
- Differentiate the Cognos BI query language from SQL and MDX
- Differentiate relational and dimensional report authoring styles
Introduction to Dimensional Data in Reports
- Work with members
- Identify and use sets and tuples in reports
- Use the explore tool
Dimensional Report Context
- Understand the purpose of report context
- Understand how data is affected by default and root members
- Identify default measure and current measure
Focusing Dimensional Data
- Compare dimensional queries to relational queries
- Explain the importance of filtering dimensional queries
- Evaluate different filtering techniques
- Filter based on dimensions and members
- Filter based on measure values
- Filter using a slicer
- Dynamically filter using a tree prompt
Calculations and Dimensional Functions
- Use dimensional functions to create sets and tuples
- Perform arithmetic operations in OLAP queries
- Analyze performance using a rank function
Functions for Navigating Dimensional Hierarchies
- Navigate dimensional data using family functions
- Work with the descendants() function
- Navigate dimensional data using relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative time functions
Advanced Dimensional Authoring Exercises
- Apply your knowledge with additional hands-on exercises
- Combine various techniques learned throughout the class
- Expand your use of parameters with query macros
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Student(s) will receive an email with details on how to access the online classroom approximately 1-2 business days after payment.
- The course materials are copyrighted and any reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
- Students will need access to a compatible Cognos Analytics environment with the standard sample data sources and packages deployed in which to complete the exercises.
- Students will need the appropriate permissions to access sources, packages, reports, data files and relevant capabilities in these environments.
Cancel any time within 24 hours of registration for a full refund. There is a $15 fee for cancellation after 24 hours of registration. No cancellation after 15 days.