In this self-paced course, students will become proficient with the Framework Manager modeling tool following a best practices approach. Students will learn common challenges and mistakes in modeling, as well as how to model using a multi-tiered design leveraging dimensional practices to create and deploy maintainable, enterprise, analysis-ready metadata models.
The course includes video how-to demos and practice drills.
APPLICABLE COGNOS VERSIONS
Cognos Analytics 11.0.x and 11.1.x
ESTIMATED COURSE DURATION
15 – 21 hours
INCLUDED WITH THIS COURSE
- 24/7 access to the class
- Downloadable course manual that may be kept for future reference
- Documentation on how to access and navigate the e-learning interface
- Supplemental files and data sets, where applicable
30-day subscription: $199
90-day subscription: $229
6-month subscription: $249
Cost is per person. Subscriptions may not be shared. The subscription begins the day after purchase.
- Become proficient with the Framework Manager modeling tool following a best practices approach
- Examine Cognos components and introduce metadata concepts
- Examine how report authors use the metadata model
- Discover best practices for modeling with Framework Manager
- Define cardinality, and examine how it is used by Cognos
- Understand and control the use of determinants
- Identify common data structures and modeling traps
- Create a project and prepare metadata
- Set properties to control query item behavior
- Establish a multi-tiered model design using namespaces
- Understand how cardinality and context impact query results
- Compare model query subjects and data source query subjects
- Learn to model for predictable results
- Examine SQL types and the Cognos Query Engine (CQE)
- Identify model design issues
- Examine SQL generation
- Merge query subjects and create a dimensional design
- Populate business view
- Enhance metadata with calculations, filters and parameterized SQL
- Review each query subject’s determinants and modify as required
- Create custom packages
- Apply package and object-level security
- Use a three-tiered design to organize metadata logically
- Create business-friendly views of data
- Use shortcuts and aliases to support role-playing dimensions, presentation objects and recursive hierarchies
- Secure metadata to allow appropriate access by users (row-level, object-level and package-level)
- Create and deploy custom packages for different audiences
- Understand how to leverage Dynamic Query Mode (DQM) in packages
- Examine project governors
- Dimensionally model relational content
- Create a dimensionally modeled relational model
- Create regular dimensions
- Define hierarchies
- Create a measures dimension
- Enable dynamic query mode
- Analyze publish impact on existing reports
- Create a model report
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Student(s) will receive an email with details on how to access the online classroom approximately 1-2 business days after payment.
- The course materials are copyrighted and any reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
- Students will need access to a compatible Cognos Analytics environment with the standard sample data sources and packages deployed to complete the exercises.
- Students will need the appropriate permissions to access sources, packages, reports, data files and relevant capabilities in these environments.
Cancel any time within 24 hours of registration for a full refund. There is a $15 fee for cancellation after 24 hours of registration. No cancellation after 15 days. Shared subscriptions will be immediately deactivated and no refund issued.