Metadata Modeling Best Practices
Metadata Modeling Best Practices with IBM Cognos Framework Manager is a three-day, instructor-led, online course. Students will become proficient with the Framework Manager modeling tool following a best practices approach. Students will learn common challenges and mistakes in modeling, as well as how to model using a multi-tiered design leveraging dimensional practices to create and deploy maintainable, enterprise, analysis-ready metadata models.
APPLICABLE SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Techniques learned in this course are relevant to all versions of Cognos Analytics 11.1.X. The core techniques learned in this course are also entirely relevant to the previous generation of Cognos BI 11.0.X and 10.x. Read details about similarities and differences between Cognos BI 10.x and Cognos Analytics 11.
Students receive a comprehensive set of learning materials, including all course notes and class examples.
Modelers: Individuals creating metadata models (Relational and Dimensionally Modeled Relational)
- Become proficient with the Framework Manager modeling tool following a best practices approach
- Examine Cognos components and introduce metadata concepts
- Examine how report authors use the metadata model
- Discover best practices for modeling with Framework Manager
- Define cardinality, and examine how it is used by Cognos
- Understand and control the use of determinants
- Identify common data structures and modeling traps
- Create a project and prepare metadata
- Set properties to control query item behavior
- Establish a multi-tiered model design using namespaces
- Understand how cardinality and context impact query results
- Compare model query subjects and data source query subjects
- Learn to model for predictable results
- Examine SQL types and the Cognos Query Engine (CQE)
- Identify model design issues
- Examine SQL generation
- Merge query subjects and create a “dimensional” design
- Populate business view
- Enhance metadata with calculations, filters and parameterized SQL
- Review each query subject’s determinants and modify as required
- Create custom packages
- Apply package and object-level security
- Use a three-tiered design to organize metadata logically
- Create business-friendly views of data
- Use shortcuts and aliases to support role-playing dimensions, presentation objects and recursive hierarchies
- Secure metadata to allow appropriate access by users (row-level, object-level and package-level)
- Create and deploy custom packages for different audiences
- Understand how to leverage Dynamic Query Mode (DQM) in packages
- Examine project governors
- Dimensionally model relational content
- Create a dimensionally modeled relational model
- Create regular dimensions
- Define hierarchies
- Create a measures dimension
- Enable dynamic query mode
- Analyze publish impact on existing reports
- Create a model report
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- Students will receive electronic copies of the course materials and may print one hard copy for their personal use. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.