Dimensional Authoring Fundamentals
Dimensional Authoring Fundamentals with IBM Cognos Report Studio is a one-day, instructor-led, online course. Students will create dynamic reports against multidimensional data sources such as PowerCubes by leveraging best practices with Report Studio. Students will be exposed to multidimensional expressions, functions and prompting techniques.
This is a fully interactive course. Participants will have practice performing the skills in our online classroom. The instructor is able to see each student's computer screen and offer guidance. A full set of course materials is included and hard copies are sent prior to the class.
APPLICABLE SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Techniques learned in this course are relevant to all versions of IBM Cognos BI 10. If you’re using Cognos Analytics (v11) you’ll be interested in Dimensional Report Authoring for V11.
Advanced report authors, experienced report authors, individuals that design and develop corporate standard reports with a background in traditional authoring techniques in Report Studio
- Fundamental differences between dimensional reporting and relational reporting
- Understand the different types of multidimensional data sources
- Examine multidimensional data in Report Studio
- Compare dimensional and relational sources, reports and approaches
- Introduce multidimensional terminology
- Introduce dimensional reporting vocabulary
- Learn to create basic dimensional reports
- Work with members
- Identify sets and tuples in Report Studio
- Understand members, member sets and tuples
- Use dimensional expressions to control report context
- Understand the purpose of report context
- Understand how data is affected by default and root members
- Identify default measure and current measure
- Compare dimensional queries to relational queries
- Explain the importance of filtering dimensional queries
- Evaluate different filtering techniques
- Filter based on dimensions and members
- Filter based on measure values
- Filter using a slicer
- Dynamically filter using a tree prompt
- Use MDX (dimensional) functions in calculations
- Use dimensional functions to create sets and tuples
- Perform arithmetic operations in OLAP queries
- Identify coercion errors and rules
- Explore relative and hierarchical functions
- Navigate dimensional data using family functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative time functions
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- A full, hard copy set of course materials is shipped to each United States based student a few days prior to the start of class.
- *International students will receive electronic copies of the course guide in place of a hard copy. These students may print one hard copy of the guide for their own personal use during the course. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.