This one-day course provides a fundamental understanding of Data Analysis Expressions (DAX), an essential tool for anyone using Power BI (and SSAS Tabular and Excel Power Pivot). Through hands-on application of exercises in Power BI, students will learn basic functions and how to construct formulas and queries so they can start solving real-world BI problems right away.
A fully interactive experience, our online classroom offers a unique opportunity to learn from and work with a subject matter expert. Participants get practice performing the skills and can ask questions of the instructor in real time.
Students receive a comprehensive set of learning materials, including all course notes and class examples.
Business analysts who want to learn the fundamentals of data acquisition, modeling, visualization and dashboarding with Power BI. Basic experience with Power BI is beneficial. No previous DAX experience is required.
- Overview and mechanics
- Basics for working with DAX formulae and functions as well as the environment within which we construct them
- Filter context, together with the topics of operators (and how they work together) and data types.
- Introduce calculated columns and measures, highlighting differences and best practices regarding the use of each
- Key functions used to construct DAX formulae, the CALCULATE() and RELATED() functions
- Working with text functions
- Manipulating text/string data within calculated columns
- Working with text that is not aggregated and data-type conversions
- Performing counts
- Create fundamental functions in calculated columns and measures
- Fundamental DAX functions will focus on filter functions, logical functions and information functions
- Syntax used to employ fundamental functions
- Create aggregate functions
- Review aggregation functions, together with their X-function and A-function type counterparts (where applicable) and differences between “basic” versus other types
- Creating math functions
- The SUM() and SUMX() functions re-examined
- Math-related DAX functions
- Date and time functions
- Introduce basic date and time functions (retrieve, parse and manipulate dates/times)
- Introduce time intelligence functions (navigation of dates, parsing and manipulation, and comparing data between or across time periods)
- Data management considerations for data and time functions
- Solutions for common business challenges
- Students will perform hands-on exercises to tackle challenges common in the business environment, including less-than-ideal conditions with data that is already in place, including running totals and moving averages, suppression of totals for non-additive numbers, managing the presentation of semi-additive numbers and more.
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- Students will receive electronic copies of the course materials and may print one hard copy for their personal use. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.