Dimensional Report Authoring
Dimensional Report Authoring in Cognos Analytics is a two-day, instructor-led, online course. Students will create dynamic reports against multidimensional data sources such as PowerCubes, Dimensionally Modeled Relational (DMR) packages and TM1 by using best practices with Cognos Authoring. Students will be exposed to multidimensional expressions, functions and prompting techniques. This course is advanced, students should have experience building traditional (relational-style) reports in either Cognos Analytics or Cognos BI 10.x Report Studio.
A fully interactive experience, our online classroom offers a unique opportunity to learn from and work with a subject matter expert. Participants get practice performing the skills and can ask questions of the instructor in real time.
APPLICABLE SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Techniques learned in this course are relevant to all versions of Cognos Analytics 11.1.X. The core techniques learned in this course are also entirely relevant to the previous generation of Cognos BI 11.0.X and 10.x. Read details about similarities and differences between Cognos BI 10.x and Cognos Analytics 11.
Students receive a comprehensive set of learning materials, including all course notes and class examples.
Advanced report authors and experienced report authors; individuals that design and develop corporate standard reports against multidimensional sources with a background in traditional authoring techniques
- Relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative time functions
- Calculations and dimensional functions use dimensional functions to create sets and tuples
- Perform arithmetic operations in OLAP queries
- Analyze performance using a rank function
- Dimensional report context
- Understand the purpose of report context
- Understand how data is affected by default and root members
- Identify default measure and current measure
- Introduction to dimensional reporting
- Identify different data sources and models
- Investigate the OLAP dimensional structure
- Identify dimensional data items and expressions
- Differentiate the Cognos BI query language from SQL and MDX
- Differentiate relational and dimensional report authoring styles
- Cognos Analytics interface and navigation
- Highlight differences between Cognos BI 10 and Cognos Analytics
- Preview how to navigate the portal
- Preview how to create a new report
- Explore the data, toolbox and navigate areas
- Explore the properties pane
- Explore page views
- Explore the on-demand toolbars
- Multidimensional versus relational reporting
- Understand the different types of multidimensional data sources
- Examine multidimensional data in Report Studio
- Compare dimensional and relational sources, reports and approaches
- Introduction to multidimensional terminology
- Introduction to dimensional data in reports
- Work with members
- Identify and use sets and tuples in reports
- Focus dimensional data
- Compare dimensional queries to relational queries
- Explain the importance of filtering dimensional queries
- Evaluate different filtering techniques
- Filter based on dimensions and members
- Filter based on measure values
- Filter using a slicer
- Dynamically filter using a tree prompt
- Functions for navigating dimensional hierarchies
- Navigate dimensional data using family functions
- Work with the descendants() function
- Advanced dimensional authoring exercises
- Apply knowledge with additional hands-on exercises
- Combine various techniques learned throughout the class
- Expand the use of parameters with query macros
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- Students will receive electronic copies of the course materials and may print one hard copy for their personal use. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.