This self-paced course teaches the foundational knowledge necessary to begin visualizing data with Tableau Desktop. The topics focus on learning to create a simple worksheet, formatting visualizations, working with dates and maps, creating dashboards, putting views together and publishing and sharing.
The course includes video how-to demos and practice drills.
Learners already familiar with the basic functions and features of Tableau may want to consider our Intermediate course instead.
APPLICABLE TABLEAU VERSIONS
Hands-on learning exercises in this course will be completed on Tableau Desktop 2019; however, nearly all techniques are also relevant to all versions of Tableau Desktop 2018 and 10, except where noted throughout the course.
ESTIMATED COURSE DURATION
INCLUDED WITH THIS COURSE
- 24/7 access to the class
- Downloadable course manual that may be kept for future reference
- Documentation on how to access and navigate the e-learning interface
- Supplemental files and data sets, where applicable
30-day subscription: $49
90-day subscription: $79
6-month subscription: $99
Cost is per person. Subscriptions may not be shared. The subscription begins the day after purchase.
Review the Tableau product line
- Understand the value of Tableau
- Review Tableau Desktop, Server, Viewer and Public
- Examine the Tableau Desktop user interface
- Introduction to Tableau Desktop
Create a simple worksheet
- Create views via drag and drop
- Use the Marks card to add detail
- Discuss formatting visualizations
- Enhance views with sorting and filtering
Introduction to calculated fields
- Create calculated fields
- Base calculations of formulas, fields and other calculations
Format visualizations for best practice presentation
- Use marks
- Explore various visualization types
Work with dates
- Compare discrete versus continuous dates
- Create views using different date types
Work with maps
- Display geographical results with map displays
- Customize maps
- Add sheets to a dashboard
- Customize dashboards with visualizations and other features
Put views together in a story
- Understand how stories can organize and present your results
Review publishing and sharing
- Understand how Tableau Server and Tableau Public can be used to share your results
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Student(s) will receive an email with details on how to access the online classroom approximately 1-2 business days after payment.
- The course materials are copyrighted and any reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
Students will need access to Tableau Desktop with the standard sample data sources and files to complete the exercises.
Cancel any time within 24 hours of registration for a full refund. There is a $15 fee for cancellation after 24 hours of registration. No cancellation after 15 days. Shared subscriptions will be immediately deactivated and no refund issued.