Professional Report Authoring, Advanced
Advanced Professional Report Authoring for Cognos Analytics is a two-day, instructor-led, online course. Students will learn advanced techniques for chart and map report design, drill through and conditional formatting. As a pre-requisite to this class, students must have attended our Report Authoring Fundamentals course or have meaningful experience with building reports in either Cognos Analytics or Report Studio.
A fully interactive experience, our online classroom offers a unique opportunity to learn from and work with a subject matter expert. Participants get practice performing the skills and can ask questions of the instructor in real time.
Applicable Software Versions
Techniques learned in this course are relevant to all versions of Cognos Analytics 11.1.X. The core techniques learned in this course are also entirely relevant to the previous generation of Cognos BI 11.0.X and 10.x. Read details about similarities and differences between Cognos BI 10.x and Cognos Analytics 11.
Students receive a comprehensive set of learning materials, including all course notes and class examples.
Report authors: Individuals with experience designing and developing corporate standard reports
- Advanced list, chart and map report design
- Deconstruct the list object
- Create headers, footers and custom group summaries
- Create chart reports
- Understand nested and peer chart items
- Examine advanced chart properties
- Review simple prompts using filtered parameters
- Examine prompt types
- Create a cascading prompt
- Create a self-drilling report that handles no data
- Advanced drill through
- Advanced conditional formatting techniques
- Conditional formatting versus advanced conditional formatting
- Examine conditionally formatted reports
- Create advanced exception reports
- Conditionally hide or show report objects
- Design effective prompts to determine report contents and/or format at runtime
- Understand the query model
- Create relationships between queries (set operations, joins, query references)
- Examine filtering data from two separate queries
- Join queries
- Create set operations (unions, intersects and exceptions)
- Introduction to dimensional authoring techniques
- Standard templates as a basis for complex reports
- Create layout component references to re-use objects
- Define reports to be used as templates
- Conditional object and page rendering
- Use a table of contents and bookmarks to consolidate reports
- Reports that combine content from several other reports are often referred to as briefing books
- The easiest way to do this is with report references, tables of contents and bookmarks
- Use conditional statements and parameters to interactively display data items, control sorting
- Use basic parameters to drive report layout and data behavior
- Examine prompt macros
- Restrict access to data based on user attributes
- Use layout component references to define report templates
- Use query macros to implement report-level security
- Create reports with advanced expressions
- Use query macros and session parameters
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- Students will receive electronic copies of the course materials and may print one hard copy for their personal use. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.