Self-Service Data Modules & Dashboarding
IBM Cognos Self-Service Data Modules and Dashboarding is a one-day, instructor-led, online course. Students will perform self-service analysis against personal data sources such as spreadsheets and flat files using Cognos Analytics data modules and dashboarding capabilities.
This is a fully interactive course. Participants will have practice performing the skills in our online classroom. The instructor is able to see each student's computer screen and offer guidance. A full set of course materials is included and hard copies are sent prior to the class.
APPLICABLE SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Techniques learned in this course are relevant to all versions of IBM Cognos Analytics 11.0.0.
Self-service consumers and others interested in learning how to perform light data modeling (data blending) and produce interactive visual displays and dashboards. This course will provide an in-depth understanding of general data modeling concepts and best practices for the business analyst.
- Upload local files for analysis
- Overview dashboarding and data modules in Cognos Analytics
- Use local files for analysis and visualization
- Upload a Microsoft Excel worksheet
- Create a data server to access additional sources
- Define data servers in Cognos Analytics
- See how to connect to a SQL Server database
- Use the database connection to define a data server
- Link local files and database tables with data modules
- Create a data module combining a spreadsheet and a database
- Understand and create joins
- Fundamentals of data modeling
- Review fundamental data modeling concepts
- Describe different options for cardinality
- Understand benefits of a join filter
- Create joins, calculations and custom data groupings
- Review join relationships and insure proper aggregation
- Create a custom calculation
- Create a custom group
- Open and customize an existing dashboard
- Open an existing dashboard
- Perform analysis using ad-hoc features
- Create dashboards using layout and type
- Create a dashboard from a data module
- Use layout and a template
- Create and customize visualizations from data sources
- Drag data onto the dashboard
- Customize visualizations
- Enhance dashboards with filters and tabs
- Add a tab to a dashboard
- Understand how filtering works within versus between tabs
- Choose a visualization
- Review common visualization types and best practices
- Use visualizations to present data visually and geospatially
- Work with enhanced mapping and geocoding features
- Create navigation groups
- Understand new features for visualization and storytelling
- Senturus accepts payment by credit card, purchase order and invoice.
- Paying party will receive a payment confirmation email upon payment receipt.
- Each registered student will receive an email with the course confirmation and details on how to access the online classroom.
- A full, hard copy set of course materials is shipped to each United States based student a few days prior to the start of class.
- *International students will receive electronic copies of the course guide in place of a hard copy. These students may print one hard copy of the guide for their own personal use during the course. The course materials are copyrighted and any other reproduction or distribution of these materials is strictly prohibited.
We recommend that all attendees have two displays (monitors) so they can see the training presentation and their hands-on class work simultaneously.
Audio for attendees is via VoIP and a PC Headset is highly recommended. Audio is also available via teleconference using a TOLL number.
Cancellations made ten or more calendar days prior to the first day of the course receive a 100% refund.
Cancellations made between five and nine calendar days prior to the first day of the course, receive a 50% refund.
Registrants will be charged 100% of the enrollment fee if a cancellation request is not received at least five calendar days prior to the first day of the course.