We usually use pie charts to visualize data in our Tableau charts, but my boss would like to use a donut chart instead. How can I do that?
- Hold down the Control key and select two dimensions and one measure. For the Tableau supplied SuperStore data, select Sales, Region, Product Category.
- Using Showme, select PIE chart.
- Right click [Number of Records] and drag to Columns shelf, selecting the MIN() value. Do the same action, a second time.
- From the Marks card, click on the bottom MIN(Number of Records) value (to allow size color changes for the second set of pies).
- Drag Product Category off the color area of the Marks card.
- Drag SUM(Sales) off the size area of the Marks card.
- Click the Size button and cut the size of the selected pies in half.
- Click the Color button and select white as the color.
- Right click on the right side pill on the Columns shelf and select DUAL AXIS.
Need additional Tableau training? We beginning and advanced instructor-led, online courses as well as self-paced, onsite and custom training.
This tip is complimentary of Chuck Hooper.
Chuck does Tableau consulting and training for Senturus. Chuck’s career includes