Aerospace Distribution & Services
This company is a leader in aerospace distribution and services and a worldwide stocking distributor of aircraft OEM parts. With 20 years of reliability, quality products and customer service, the company facilitates the purchasing process by sourcing all military aircraft parts requirements under its unique logistic support model. The company has sole stocking distribution agreements with leading aerospace manufacturers and strategic OEM partners for various product lines and supports 60-plus countries worldwide.
Success in aerospace distribution and services had led to rapid growth, with revenue doubling in just two years. It became increasingly clear that more flexible and detailed reporting and analytical capabilities, including the ability to generate reports at the customer level, would be increasingly pressing and vital to the company’s future productivity and profitability.
The company’s home-grown Excel-based reporting tools provided reporting at the company level, but lacked business intelligence infrastructure, ease of use and flexibility, such as
- Most reporting activities were only partially automated and required manual coding
- No automated workflow, human intervention required on a daily basis to maintain report deck
- Lack of a “single source of the truth”
- Multiple tools were required to create reports (e.g. Access, Crystal Reports, Excel, Oracle SQL code, Php) and to open or review reports (e.g. Access, Excel, PDF, HTML)
- Multiple departments required staff with expertise to create, implement and maintain reports or make changes to report structure and design
- Reports were distributed using various means, including email and browsing a shared drive to obtain a copy
- Daily Flash (Register) needed to be changed manually to reflect performance colors
- Lack of drill down and filtering capabilities led to requirements to generate an increased number of reports
- Technical constraints made it difficult to obtain required fields for reporting
Senturus didn’t start with the assumption that addressing the client’s business intelligence requirements would require a plan to build a new data warehouse. Instead, our approach was to focus on understanding user needs and only then determine how to better organize data to provide business users with improved access, ease-of-use, speed, flexibility and self-service capability. This improved business intelligence from both standard and customized reports.
The client’s data is stored in the company’s ERP system. Although efficient for running transactions, the complex data structure doesn’t make it easy to create reports. Our approach involved building a series of business process dimensional models with conformed dimensions, keeping business users’ requirements top of mind.
Senturus designed a reporting database (sales data mart) that extracts data from the client’s ERP system. This transforms it into a data structure that fits how users need to look at the business and enables them to easily access standard reports and create customized reports on a self-serve basis, instead of relying on IT professionals for help.
Nightly extracts provide updated data from the client’s ERP system to the new sales data mart on an automated, daily basis.
The solution enables the client to better compete and easily track and analyze key business performance metrics at far more detailed levels of granularity than before. For example, a metric used by the client to evaluate sales productivity is “hit rate,” which measures the dollar value of actual orders received as a percentage of the total value of requests for quotes received from customers on a rolling 12-month basis. The Senturus solution enables the client to evaluate this metric according to various aspects or attributes, such as specific customer, customer tier based on order volume, region and product.
The Senturus solution provides significant benefits that help the client to maintain its competitive edge.
- Provides tracking, reporting and analysis of sales metrics and other performance indicators at the customer level
- Reduces the cost of business intelligence
- Accurately maintains historical context
- Enables analysis across business processes and functional areas, as well as heterogeneous source systems
- Insulates business decision makers from being inadvertently impacted by inevitable changes in source systems
- Improves sales productivity and performance
New sales data mart solution empowers business users to easily access and create customized and detailed reports of sales metrics on a self-serve basis.